- On August 2, Russian authorities said an improvised explosive device was detonated at a central Moscow restaurant, killing three people and wounding 21 others; the National Anti-Terrorism Committee said it exploded on Kudrinskaya Square around 8 p.m. and the wounded suffered injuries of varying severity.
- The explosion hit the Balzi Rossi Italian restaurant, located in one of Moscow's Stalin-era skyscrapers; the restaurant had been closed for a private function.
- The committee said those killed were a woman suspected of bringing the explosive device, a security guard who stopped her, and one of the restaurant's guests; state media reported the blast occurred after the woman was stopped from entering.
- Russian authorities have not identified the woman or the other victims, have not said who may have been responsible or identified a possible motive, and said operational and investigative measures were under way.
- Reuters, citing Kommersant, reported the bomb may have been intended for the restaurant's summer terrace, may have been detonated remotely, and that the woman carrying it may not have known it was an explosive.
- The possibility of a link to Russia's war against Ukraine is likely to come under scrutiny; Russian authorities have repeatedly blamed Ukraine for such attacks, while Kyiv has not publicly claimed responsibility and authorities have not drawn a connection to the August 1 bombing.
Russian authorities reported that an improvised explosive device detonated at the Balzi Rossi restaurant in central Moscow on August 1, resulting in three fatalities and 21 injuries.
The explosion occurred around 8 p.m. local time, during a private function at the restaurant.
Those killed included a woman suspected of bringing the device, a security guard who attempted to stop her, and a restaurant guest.
The National Anti-Terrorism Committee stated that the wounded suffered injuries of varying severity.123
The device reportedly exploded after the unidentified woman was prevented from entering the restaurant, raising questions about the bomb's intended target.
Investigators are exploring the possibility that the bomb was meant to harm patrons on the restaurant's summer terrace and may have been detonated remotely.1112
There are speculations regarding a potential link to Russia's ongoing conflict with Ukraine, as the country has faced a series of attacks targeting military figures and Kremlin supporters.
While Russian authorities have previously blamed Ukraine for such incidents, no direct connection has been established between the August 1 bombing and the war.131415
The investigation is ongoing, with operational measures in place to determine the circumstances surrounding the blast.
Authorities have not yet identified the victims or the woman involved in the incident.
“The dead included the suspected bomb carrier, the security guard who stopped her, and a restaurant guest at the Balzi Rossi restaurant, which was closed for a private function. Reuters, citing Kommersant, reported the device may have been meant for the summer terrace and may have been detonated remotely, possibly without the woman's knowledge.”
